"Horrible Massacre of Emigrants!!" The Mountain Meadows Massacre in Public Discourse



The Massacre at Mountain Canon Confirmed.—More Indian Outrages, &c.

By the arrival of the steamer Senator, we have received through Wells Fargo & Co., the San Diego Herald of October 17th, and files of the Los Angeles Star to the 24th inst.

THE MOUNTAIN CANON MASSACRE.—The report of the late terrible massacre of the emigrants in southern Utah, is fully confirmed. We invite particular attention to our Los Angles letter, which appears below. It gives minute details of the dreadful massacre at the Mountain Canon, and also subsequent outrages on emigrants, together with other matters of general interest.

Our San Diego exchanges contain nothing of importance.


The massacre of more than a hundred American citizens by Mormon traitors and Indians, has created a great excitement among all classes in our community, and we hope that the tocsin is now sounded that shall rouse the nation and compel the government to protect our countrymen from the additional danger which foreign territories. For long years outrage upon outrage has been committed and representations made imploring aid in that inhospitable region where nature herself is so repulsive as almost to forbid travel, but their calls have been unheeded.

Our whole community has been deeply moved. Many of them are waiting and wishing for a call, to go and abate the evils which arrest the weary traveler and consign him to an unknown and nameless grave, midway to his destination. Two large public meetings were held in this city last week, under the circus pavilion, at which speeches were made by several who had been at Salt Lake, and resolutions were passed, which, I believe, express the sentiments of everybody here but Mormons. There is a sentiment of extermination, living and intense, growing in the minds of all true Americans, against the traitors who have planted themselves in our territory, and who have instigated the savages of the desert to slaughter and rapine. Will the government make any effort to redeem its character for pusillanimity, in so long delaying to correct those monstrous evils? does there need hecatombs more of victims, before anything is done? What further outrage and insult is needed to prove to our rulers that there is a band of armed traitors in our midst who are making indiscriminate war upon men, women and children, simply because they are Americans, who are more dangerous because they are blinded by fanaticism, and who are instigating the savages to slay all who are not saints? A terrible example seems necessary to prove to them the power of those they are thus taught to slaughter-an example so fearful that it shall be remembered in all their villages, and shall make them tremble with awe when they hear the American name.

The following statements (which I have already given to our public both in English and Spanish) I took down from the lips of the gentlemen named. The manner of these gentlemen was in their statements, which have been duly authenticated and forwarded by mail to Washington. They arrived in town on the 10th instant. It will be seen that they were not permitted to see anything of the massacre-that they were detained one day near Parowan, that they might not arrive at the time of the massacre, and that they drove all night that the scene of the massacre might not be examined. Notwithstanding these precautions, it can scarcely fail to convince the unprejudiced reader that all these men saw and heard, goes to establish the complicity of the Mormons with the Indians in the wholesale butcheries reported-that if these Saints were not actually engaged in the slaughter, they must have stood pitilessly by, and encouraged the Indians, whose vindictive character they have so moulded as to make it unsafe for any American to travel in that region unless he be under their protection.

Mr. George Powers, of Little Rock, left Arkansas, and with his train, arrived at Salt Lake in August. He says:

We found the Mormons making very determined preparations to fight the United States troops, whenever they may arrive. On our way in, we met three companies of 100 men each, armed and on the road towards the pass above Fort Bridger. I was told at Fort Bridger, that at Fort Supply, twelve miles this side of Fort Bridger, there were 400 armed Indians awaiting orders; they also said that there were 60,000 pounds of flour stored at Fort Bridger for the use of their army. We found companies drilling every evening in the city. The Mormons declared to us that no U.S. troops should ever cross the mountains; and they talked and acted as if they were willing to take a brush with Uncle Sam.

We remained in Salt Lake five days, and then pushed on, hoping we might overtake a larger train, which had started ten days ahead of us, and which proved to be the train that was massacred. We came on to Buttermilk Fort, near the Lone Cedar, 175 miles, and found the inhabitants greatly enraged at the train which had just passed, declaring that they had abused the Mormon women, calling them w—s, &c., and letting on about the men. The people had refused to sell that train any provisions, and told us they were sorry they had not killed them there; but they knew it would be done before they got in. They stated further that they were holding the Indians in check until the arrival of their chief, when he would follow the train and cut it in pieces.

We attempted to purchase some butter here; the women set it out to us, and as we were taking it away, the men came running and charging, and swore we should not have it, nor anything else, as we had misused them. They appeared to be bitterly hostile, and would hardly speak to us. We were unable to get anything we stood in need of. We camped at this place but one night.

At Corn Creek, we found plenty of Indians, who were all peaceable and friendly. We learned nothing of the train, except that it had passed that place several days before, and we were glad to find we had gained so much on them. The next place where we heard of the train was on our arrival at Beaver, 230 miles from Salt Lake. Here we learned that when the train ahead were camped at Corn Creek, which was thirty-five miles back, and at which place we found the Indians so friendly, an ox died, and the Indians asked for it. Before it was given to them a Mormon reported that he saw an emigrant go to the carcass and cut in with his knife, and as he did so, would pour some liquid into the cut from a vial. The meat was eaten by the Indians, and three of them died, and several more were sick and would die. The people at Beaver seemed also to be incensed against the train, for the same reason as before reported. I asked an Indian at Beaver if there was any truth in the poisoned meat story; he replied in English, that he did not know-that several of the Indians had died, and several were sick. He said their water-melons made them all sick, and he believed that the Mormons had poisoned them.

We laid by at Beaver several days, as the Bishop told us it was dangerous for so small a company as ours to go on. Our train consisted of only three wagons, and we were hurrying on to join the larger one.

While waiting here, the train of Wm. Mathews and Sidney Tanner, of San Bernardino, came up, and I made arrangements to come on with them. We came on to Parowan, and here we learned that the train ahead had been attacked by the Indians at the Mountain Meadows, fifty miles from Parowan, and had returned upon their road five miles, to a spring, and fortified themselves. We then drove out of Parowan five or six miles, and camped at what is called the Summit.

Next morning an express arrived from Mr. Dame, President of Parowan, requesting us not to proceed any further that day if we pleased; also that Mathews and Tanner should return to Parowan, and bring me along with them. We returned and a council was held, at which it was advised by Mr. Dame, that I should go back to my own train, as they did not wish to have strangers in their train. He also stated, that at two o'clock that morning, he had received and express from the train ahead, stating they were surrounded by Indians, who had killed two or three of their number, and asking for assistance. While we were talking, an express came in from Beaver, stating that the Indians had attacked my train in the streets of that place, and were fighting when he left. One reason given was, that ten miles the other side of Beaver, an emigrant train had shot an Indian, which greatly enraged them; that the people of Beaver went out in the night and brought the emigrants in, and were followed by the Indians, who made the attack after their arrival.

On the receipt of this news, another private council was held, after which I was called in and told, that in consequence of the fight behind, it would be for their advantage to bring me through, provided I would obey council and the rules of the train. To this I assented, being anxious to get on, and asked what was required of me. Mr. Dame replied, that in passing through the Indian country, it might be necessary for me to be laid flat in a wagon and covered with blankets for two or three days, as the Indians were deadly hostile to all Americans; that if I was seen, it would endanger the safety of the whole train. My friend Mr. Warn was told that he would also go on, upon the same conditions.

At Parowan, it seems, when it was 'for their interest' to bring us through, the elders had no control over the Indians, while at Buttermilk Fort, they were able to restrain them, as they declared under great provocation.

On Friday, the 18th of September, we left Parowan, and arrived at Cedar City, some eighteen miles, about one o'clock. During the afternoon, an express arrived from the Indians, stating that one of their warriors had run up and looked into the corral, and he supposed that 'only five or six of the emigrants were killed yet.' These were words of the expressman. The same night, four men were sent out from the train, and, as they pretended, to save, if possible, some of its members.

I omitted to mention, in the proper place, that Mr. Dame informed me that the attack on the train commenced on Monday, the 14th of September. I asked him if he could not raise a company and go out and relieve the besieged train. He replied that he could go out and take them away in safety, but he dared not—he dared not disobey counsel.

On Saturday, at twelve o'clock we left Cedar City. About the middle of the afternoon, we met the four men who were sent out the night previous, returning in a wagon. Mathews and Tanner held a council with them, apart, and when they left, Mathews told me the entire train had been cut off, and, as it was still dangerous to travel the road, they had concluded it was better for us to pass the spot in the night. We continued on, without much conversation, and about dusk met Mr. Dame, (I did not know that he had left Cedar City,) and three other white men, coming from the scene of slaughter, in company with a band of some twenty Indian warriors. One of the men in company with Mr. Dame, was Mr. Haight, President of Cedar City. Mr. Dame said they had been out to see to the burying of the dead; but the dead were not buried. From what I heard, I believe the bodies were left lying naked upon the ground, having been stripped of their clothing by the Indians. These Indians had a two-horse wagon, filled with something I could not see, as blankets were carefully spread over the top. The wagon was driven by a white man, and beside him, there were two or three Indians in it! Many of them had shawls, and bundles of women's clothes were tied to their saddles. They were also all supplied with guns or pistols, besides bows and arrows. The hindmost Indians were driving several head of the emigrants' cattle. Mr. Dame and Mr. Haight, and their men, seemed to be on the best of terms with the Indians, and they were all in high spirits, as if they were mutually pleased with the accomplishment of some desired object. They thronged around us, and greeted us with noisy cordiality. We did not learn much from them. They passed on, and we drove all night in silence, and at daylight camped, and were told we were three miles beyond the scene of slaughter. We lay by here two or three hours, to rest, and then drove all day-twenty miles-at night camping on the Santa Clara River, near the Chief Jackson's village.

Next morning, after driving a few miles, we stopped to water. Jackson and his band soon came to us; and in a few minutes pointed out Mr. Warn as an American. The Mormon boys denied it, but the Indians were dissatisfied, and appeared restive. The chief came up and accused me of being an American, appeared mad, stepped round, shook his head, and pulled his bowstring. He then sent several men on our road ahead. Mr. Mathews advised us to leave there as quick as possible, as it was getting dangerous.

At Jackson's we engaged Mr. Hatch to go on to the Muddy as an interpreter. It was a fortunate circumstance for us that this Mr. Hatch arrived at our camp at the very moment that we were wishing for him most. Mr. Mathews told me he was an Indian missionary, and of great influence among them. He could do more with them than anybody else, and if he could not get me over the road, nobody could. Mr. Tanner had declared that he would not go on without Mr. Hatch, and pretended to be afraid of the dangers of the road.

Next morning Mr. Hatch left us and went on to the Muddy. About a day's drive the other side of the Muddy, we met him returning in company with two young men, brothers Young, horse thieves, who were escaping from justice in San Bernardino, having been assisted in getting away by those who had them in custody. Mr. Hatch stated that when he reached the Muddy, he found the young boys in company with an emigrant who had escaped the massacre—that on his arrival, there was not an Indian in sight, and that he had to give the whoop to call them from concealment. He said in continuation, without appearing to notice the discrepancy, that on his arrival he found the Indians hotly pursuing the three men, and that they jumped upon the emigrant, and killed him before his eyes, before he could interfere to prevent it. He said he threw himself between the boys and Indians, and had great difficulty in saving them. The Indians were in a great excitement, as he said, but that as Mathews and Tanner were Mormons, they could pass without danger.

We arrived at the Muddy the day after we met Mr. Hatch and the Young boys. We found here 30 or 40 Indians, and the mail riders from Los Angeles, who had come in that morning. The Indians were very friendly, and shook hands with everybody. No expression of hostility to Americans was heard, but this was accounted for on the ground that this was a Mormon train.

At the Vegas, we found another band of Indians. The chief asked our interpreter whether our captain had brought him no word from Brigham Young, whether he was nearly ready to fight the Americans yet; adding, that he was ready, had got his arrows poisoned, &c.

At the Cottonwoods, 15 miles from the Vegas, the chief, called Brigham Young, said he was afraid of the emigrant train behind, and wished to know if they would shoot.

On the 1st October, we arrived at San Bernardino, and I was advised by R. Matthews, who, I learned, was a President or Elder in that place, not to associate with the damned apostates, that they were cutthroats of the worst character. If I wished, they would give me constant work at their mill in the mountains, and I must be careful not to talk too much of what I had seen.

Whilst in San Bernardino, I heard many persons express gratification at the massacre. At the church services, on Sunday, Capt. Hunt occupied the pulpit, and, among other things, he said that the hand of the Lord was in it; it was right! The prophecies concerning Missouri were being fulfilled, and they would all be accomplished.

Mr. Matthews said the work had just begun, and it should be carried on until Uncle Sam and all the boys that were left should come to Zion and beg for bread.

I did not stay in San Bernardino, because it did not appear to be a free country, for I am an American, and like freedom of thought and speech.

Mr. P. M. Warn, of Bergen, Genesse County, New York, who was a fellow-traveler with Mr. Powers on that fatal journey, corroborates the statements of Powers, so far as he was acquainted with the facts, and gives the following additional particulars, which did not come under the observation of Mr. Powers:

Mr. Warn states that there was a coolness between himself and Mr. Matthews, arising from the frankness with which he expressed his opinions, and, in consequence of this, he was not treated with as much confidence as Mr. Powers.

Mr. Warn arrived at Salt Lake, via Independence, on the 7th of August last, and remained until the 26th, on which day he started for California, as a passenger in Mathews and Tanner's train. He states that on his journey through the settlements, which was a week or ten days subsequent to the passage of the murdered train, he at various places heard the same threats of vengeance against them, for their boisterousness and abuse of Mormons and Mormonism, as was reported, and these threats seemed to be made with the intention of preparing the mind to expect a calamity, and also, when a calamity occurred, it would appear to fall upon transgressors, as a matter of retribution.

Mr. Warn says, according to his memorandum: On the 5th of September we encamped at Corn Creek. Here I had a conversation with the Indian agent, concerning the poisoning of the ox. He said that six Indians had died; that others were sick and would die. Upon one of them, the poison had worked out all over his breast, and he was dead next morning, as reported. Afterwards, I conversed with an Indian, said to be the war chief Ammon, who spoke good English. I inquired how many of his tribe had died from eating the poisoned animal. He replied not any, but some were sick. He did not attribute the sickness to poison, nor did he give any reason for it. His manner and that of all his people towards us, was not only friendly, but cordial; and he did not mention the train which had been doomed. Besides the Mormon train, there were camped at this place two or three emigrant trains, amounting to fifteen or eighteen wagons, with whom the Indians were as friendly as with ourselves. From Corn Creek, nothing of importance occurred more than is related by Mr. Powers, until we arrived at Cedar City. Here the four men, spoken of by Mr. Powers, (and among whom I recognized Mr. Dame) arrived at our camp; they wished to get fresh animals, that they might go on that night to the besieged party. This was Friday night, the night on which the slaughter was completed. They rested an hour or two, and took refreshments. In the conversation which ensued, one of our party said, 'Be careful, and don't get shot, Mr. Haight.' Mr. H. replied, 'We shall have no shooting;' emphasizing the we, and throwing up his head, as if he meant to imply that the shooting would be all over before he arrived. They left us in good spirits.

One reason that may be assigned for the massacre of this train is, that it was known to be in possession of considerable valuable property, and this fact excited the cupidity of the Mormons. It was said they had over 600 head of stock, besides mules &c. They were well supplied with arms and ammunition, and element of gain which enters largely into all Mormon calculations. The train was composed of families who all seemed to be in good circumstances, and as they were moving to California, their outfit indicated that they might be in possession of considerable funds. The men were very free in speaking of the Mormons; their conduct was said to have been reckless, and they would commit little acts of annoyance for the purpose of provoking the Saints. Feeling perfectly safe in their arms and numbers, they seemed to set at defiance all the powers that could be brought against them, and they were not permitted to feel the dangers that surrounded them, until they were cut off from all hope of relief.

Mr. Warn states, in speaking of the emigrant who escaped, and was killed at the Muddy, that at Painter Creek, some six or seven miles on the other side of the place of massacre, a Mormon told him that one of the little girls who was taken back, and who is about six years old, said that she saw her mother killed by an arrow, and that her father had escaped to California. This was before Hatch joined the train. The matter of the escape was talked over by the Mormon captains, and Mathews made the remark, 'If the man comes into our train, he shall not be received!'

The following statement is made to me by Mr. Henry Mogridge, with the request that I would give it publicity. He is a young man, and was once in high favor with the powers at Salt Lake. He says if called upon, he will make oath to the truth of his charges. He says:—

In November, 1853, I resided at Salt Lake, and was sent for to attend a council. At the council I was solicited to take a mission to the Green River Indians. I did not consent, because I had just returned from Parowan, and the southern settlements, which I had been appointed to locate. Although not a member of the council, I was permitted to remain, and heard the charge given to the missionaries to those Indians by Willard Richards, now dead. First they were to establish missions, then they would form treaties and alliances with the Indians; the elders, both married and single, must marry squaws, particularly the daughters of chiefs. Such ties as these could not be broken, and the Indians would be under their control forever.

At that time, war against the United States was anticipated, and they professed according to the Book of Mormon, to use the Indians 'as the Lord's battle-ax.' A time would come when they would be of great service to the Saints, from their knowledge of the mountains. They were to teach the doctrines of Mormon, and baptize them into the church-they were also to monopolize all trade with them, and influence them to keep out the Gentiles.

These missionaries did not at that time, go so far as Green River, but remained in the vicinity of Fort Bridger, to watch the movements of the mountaineers, who were gathering there, indignant that Bridger had been driven off. In the following spring several other missionaries were sent to different parts of the territory. P. P. Pratt was sent to the Santa Clara for similar purposes.

I had been an eye-witness to the baptism of scores of Indians at Parowan, and other southern settlements. The doctrines taught, are invariably, that the Americans are enemies to the Mormons and Indians, and they must kill them whenever they can find them.

The Mormons have a school wherein the young men of the church are taught the different Indian dialects. These dialects are reduced to a system, and are printed in books. Many of the Mormon elders and missionaries have Indian wives, and are raising families of half-breeds.

I have frequently heard Brigham Young declare that he could clean out the United States with the Shoshonees (Snake) and Utahs, and that he intended to do it.

At Painter Creek, which is but six or seven miles, on the other side of the scene of slaughter, there is a settlement of some fifteen or twenty families of Mormons. The people there knew of the beginning and end of the slaughter, but not one of them went to the assistance of the train.

Mr. Warn states that, two days before arriving at San Bernardino, a man named Bill Hyde, whom he learned was a noted Danite, and who is badly reported of in this town, joined the train, having come through with the mail. This Hyde reported that he went and saw the bodies lying scattered about upon the ground, most of them stripped naked-only a few of them being partially clothed. Dame and Haight, he said, staid there to bury the dead, but the bodies were so much decayed they could not endure the stench, and after throwing a few into a hole and covering them lightly with sage, the two Presidents departed. Decomposition must have been very rapid, to have produced so offensive results, the morning after the massacre!

Hyde also related to his Mormon brethren, that on arriving at the Santa Clara, where formerly there was a Mormon settlement, and is now occupied by the Chief Jackson, he saw in the hands of that chief, a little book, or journal, the name, Wm. B. Jones, Caldwell County, Missouri. He offered to purchase it, but the chief refused to part with it. This is the first intimation we have that will in any manner serve to identify the train. Not a word, nor a sign, except this, has been given, which will rescue from oblivion the name or residence of those hundred and eighteen travelers, and the only monument left of them is their bones whitening upon the desert.

How were these deaths compassed? and who did it? It is charged upon the Indians, by Mormons. But what Indians? These two gentlemen have related all they saw along the whole route. Except the band of twenty, they met returning from the massacre, in company with nearly as many more white men, they say distinctly that they saw no Indians, going or coming; and at the various villages, from Corn Creek to the Muddy, they saw no suspicious movements among them-no preparations for attack-no rejoicing-no trophies of victory, except those already named, in possession of Haight and Dame's party. Those who were dressed as Indians in that party all talk English, and were on terms of equality with the Presidents. Is there any significance in this?

Since the above was written, the statement of Mr. Hones, concerning the outrages upon the last train heard of, has been made, and we have the following item which seems to identify the massacred train:

The train which has been so cruelly massacred, was under the charge of Captain Baker, familiarly known as 'Uncle Jack,' from Carroll County, Arkansas - Silas Edwards and William Baker, son of the captain, are also known to have been in the train. At Cedar City, Mr. Hones saw President Haight riding a large bay horse which he recognized as having belonged to Mr. Silas Edwards. Was informed by Hatch, that young Baker had an opportunity of escaping, went a short distance but returned; was afterwards wounded in the arm; again escaped from the massacre, and had proceeded about ten miles this side of the Muddy, when he met the Youngs who had escaped from San Bernadino. He was advised to return to the Muddy, which he did, when he was met by Hatch and the Indians, and by them cruelly murdered

Another Emigrant Train Robbed on the Salt Lake Road.

On the 17th inst., another of the back trains of emigrants was heard from. Considerable anxiety has been manifested at their non-arrival. It was said that the foremost ones would wait for those in the rear, and thus form one company. It was also felt that the declarations of Mathews and Hunt, that the work of vengeance was at last begun, were significant of death to more than those who fell at Mountain Meadow. The intelligence we here have brought by nine men who arrived on the 17th from their train.They state that, at Cedar City, the emigrants deemed it advisable for their safety to employ Mormon guides to conduct them through to California. After much trouble, they hired eight guides, paying them in advance $1815. In addition, they also hired an Indian. The guides and this Indian were on the most familiar terms during the journey. On their arrival at the Muddy, there was no Indian in sight. The savage they had hired when the enemies of Americans rushed out from concealment, to the number of two or three hundred, and attacked the stock of the emigrants, who drew their weapons to defend their property. On seeing this, the guides said to them: If you fire a gun we will leave you instantly. Upon this they desisted, believing their guides were about to interfere in their behalf.

The enemy, who is reported to have been dressed and painted like bad looking Indians, succeeded in driving of 326 head of cattle and 5 horses. The guides, except the veritable Hatch, already spoken of by Powers and Warn, followed the Indians, having previously borrowed several revolvers from the emigrants. Hatch, who bids fair to become infamous, remained until the rest had gone out of sight, when, saying he would go after the cattle, he also left, and neither guide, revolvers, cattle nor Indians, were afterwards heard of.

When these men left the train it was nearly destitute of provisions, having been unable to purchase anything in the Mormon settlements. They state that the object of the thieves seemed to be to steal and plunder, as they made no attack upon the lives of the company. The men who brought this intelligence were ten days on the road, having left the Muddy on the 7th, and arrived at San Bernardino on the 17th instant. The last three days they traveled without provisions. They came in on foot—the distance being 250 miles. Immediately on their arrival, two relief trains were sent out from San Bernardino, by the two parties there, each one vieing who should outdo the other in their charitable work.

A Voice from San Bernardino.

The Independent "Party of San Bernardino" had a meeting the other day. This party is respectable as to numbers, and embraces more than one-third of the people; the majority being Saints. Their resolution is herewith annexed, and forms an interesting link in this veritable history:


Whereas, the officers of this county are all Mormons, or their firm supporters; and they, the Mormons, are the sworn enemies to our government; and the officers and sureties are irresponsible men; and the most of them are preparing to leave for Great Salt Lake City, Utah Territory; we therefore deem it unsafe to trust them with the public revenue; and in consideration of the foregoing, it was unanimously

Resolved, That we, the independent citizens of San Bernardino County, California, will not pay taxes or revenue to any person now in office in this county, and that we will assist and defend each other, if any officer in this county should proceed to enforce payment by virtue of his office.


Just while we were greatly interested in the report of these outrages, there arrived at San Pedro, a vessel from Australia, with over seventy converts, the fruits of the labors of a fellow named Wall, who is recognized by persons here as a Danite from Fillmore, and as they say, one of the biggest rascals alive. He came to town the night of the meeting and remained till morning, when he was waited upon by a committee (self constituted) who greeted him in such a decided manner, that he was glad to escape, declaring that he had too much regard for his own life to endanger it by remaining here. The deluded wretches he was conducting to Zion were all women and children but nineteen.

Our citizens at first proposed to re-convert this crowd and thus save them from some of the miseries to which they are about to subject themselves, but they are allowed to go on their mournful journey uninformed.

There are few local items of interest. Public attention has been much engrossed by these outrages, and almost everyone of those particularly who have been on the Salt Lake road generally winds up with Let Government call for volunteers—I should like to take a turn at those fellows! Were a call made, half of our population would respond, so bitter is their experience. The general opinion here with intelligent men who know the audacity of Brigham Young, is that the small force which are advancing upon Utah, will all be cut off.

One more item. One of the speakers at our meeting said that the arms of Utah are a beehive, protected by a lion rampant, at whose feet is the American eagle, couchant, and badly plucked.

There is a good deal of dissatisfaction among our farmers, at the negligence of the Agent of Agricultural Fair, Mr. Ferguson. He came here, spent considerable time in searching for a boarding house, looked at two or three vineyards, and left. The corn and tobacco planters, at the Monte, were not pleased at this neglect. Three cornfields, two fields of tobacco, and one patch of immense onions would have been offered for premiums. I send you a specimen of the tobacco raised by Mr. Marshall, and which was prepared for the Fair. I eschew tobacco, but it seems to me there is a very agreeable aroma to this. You, perhaps are a judge of the weed. If so, give us a judgement.

On the 17th inst., it was reported in town that the San Bernardino people are purchasing large quantities of powder of our merchants, to be sent to Salt Lake. This report, taken in connection with others, that arms and powder had been recently forwarded to Salt Lake, via San Diego, and also that five hundred destination shows that the Mormons are making good use of their time, in preparing to meet Uncle Sam's forces. . . .

I nearly omitted to tell you that I am informed by a person who saw the document, that Capt. Hunt, of San Bernardino, has written by this steamer to the Governor, for rifles and ammunition to suppress insurrection in that county, and also to fight Indians! This is all pretence. All the rifles and ammunition they receive are instantly forwarded to Salt Lake, where the majority of these people are expected soon to depart.

Yo Mismo.